• Intercultural Awareness allows us to celebrate diversity among all students in the classroom or school setting.  I was fortunate to have the opportunity to weave Aboriginal education by collaborating with the Aboriginal support worker in the school building.  Restorative practices in the form of a healing circle would occur once a week in our classroom to improve the class environment and overall relations among students.  It is imperative that make an effort in making intercultural learning inclusive for all students.
  • Collaboration & Teamwork: I have been fortunate enough have had vast amount of coaching experience at the high school level from basketball and soccer.  Coaching would eventually make me realize that teaching was something I wanted to do in the future.  A lot of what i learned on the basketball court or soccer pitch can directly translate into the classroom in terms of collaboration and teamwork.  Much like a sports team, the classroom environment should contain elements of teamwork and supporting one another.  
  • Creativity/Innovation:  It is important for the teacher to  deliver the curriculum to students to ensure their engagement of subject content.  Using various ways will allow students to avoid the any stagnation of learning due using the same course of instruction which may become bland resulting to student disengagement from learning.  Experiential learning is an example of how a teacher can be creative and use the environment to create innovative learning for students.  I would implement aspects of experiential learning in my practicum for math and english language arts.  For math I introduced area and perimeter by getting student to observe and estimate for each.  For english language arts the class would observe or retrieve something from our environment or land to write a descriptive essay on the item students have selected.  Place based learning is imperative for students to acknowledge the land in which we live to learn and play.  More school districts around this province are implementing outdoor learning and I think this an awesome experience for both educators and students to be part of.