Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach.

During my EDUC-491 practicum I spent a lot of time reviewing how to teach grade 6/7 mathematical concepts.  It had been a while since I had familiarized myself with many of these concepts and I realized that I needed to improve my understanding to give clear instruction on the concepts.  I spent a lot of time watching at home tutorials, collaborating with my coaching teacher, and breaking down my lessons to chunk information to help students. My math unit for this practicum was guided by four essential questions:

1. What is Perimeter? Each shape would be its own lesson plan
  2. What is Area? Each shape would be its own lesson plan
  3. What is Circumference? Pi/diameter/radius all discussed individually first

By chunking information into these 3 basic concepts, I was able to access the students that needed additional support as well as challenge the students who were extending to deepen their understanding.

I have a diverse post-secondary background prior to beginning the Bachelor of Education program.  I have a diploma in Criminology at the College of New Caledonia, vocational training in becoming a conductor in the railway industry and also as an electrician. In April of this year I will be graduating at the University of Northern British Columbia with a Bachelor of Education to further exemplify my diverse and broad knowledge base. I have had the opportunity to gain many experiences in the education and the service industry.