My decision to become a teacher is because I want to make a difference in children’s lives.  I love how children’s minds can be open to learning and new experiences.  I aspire to interact with children daily and help them enjoy a safe learning space.  My interest in sports and coaching created the first opportunities for me to instruct and lead, not only my peers, but also school aged children.  I have always loved learning and guiding others in their learning while obtaining new skills.

I truly believe that teaching begins with the relationship that teachers build with their students and that relationship grows by embodying and fostering inclusivity, diversity, and growth mindsets.  By getting to know my students and building relationships with them, I will begin to recognize the diversity that is occurring in the classroom.  I then hope to adjust my lesson plans to include adaptations for different types of learners in both the lessons and the community I will create in my classroom.  By continually adapting and improving my teaching, I will exemplify a growth mindset that will nurture the mindsets of my students.  I believe that teaching others starts with the self; the best way for students to catch on to the ideas that educators promote, is to emulate the example set by their role model.